Aqua Painted Side Table

Christy–who blogs at Confessions of a Serial DIYer–has been longing to paint a piece of furniture aqua blue, her favorite color.  When she came across this little beauty of a side table at the local Salvation Army, she could barely contain her excitement.

Confessions of a Serial DIYer side table before

“I actually really like this as is,” Christy confesses, “But alas, my almost full can of Annie Sloan chalk paint in ‘Provence’ awaits!”  And doesn’t it look pretty dressed in blue?  Christy left the top as is, so that the intricate inlaid design can be admired.  She enjoyed experimenting with color on a piece of furniture that she already liked.

Confessions of a Serial DIYer side table after

You can get more information on this project at Confessions of a Serial DIYer.

Comments

1. kathleen kelly says:

In a decade or two, people will look back in horror at all of the lovely pieces of furniture ruined by DIY paint jobs, especially the craze for heavily “distressed” pieces.the whole trend has gotten just beyond ugly.

2. julie says:

To each his own kathleen kelly!

3. Thanks so much for featuring my table, Becky although commenter #1 kinda took the wind out of my sails.

You are awesome! I look forward to all of your features:)

XO,
    Christy

4. Kathleen kelly says:

Christy,

I apologize. I really was referring to the general trend and not to your specific piece. I have a kind of nasty streak when it comes to certain trends in blogland and painted, heavily distressed ( which your piece is not) furniture tops my current list. So does “decorating with books” by organizing them by color, throwing doliies over them and doing anything other than reading them. I also hate it when people start yammering about their religious faith in DIY blogs. I am cranky and a perfect example of why if you haven’t anything nice to say, you should just shut your mouth.

I am sorry–really sorry — that I took the wind out of your sails.I think you should live with what you love and ignore people like me.

Kathleen

5. Isabella J says:

What a cute idea! I love your blog!

6. Melanie says:

I love your cute little table!!! I have some Annie Sloan “Provence” and have been waiting for the just the right piece to paint. You found it! I love that you left the top in wood tone. You really did an outstanding job!!!

7. Sharon Peters says:

I love it. It’s only wood it can go back to original anytime someone so chooses :)

• Beckie says:

That’s right! It’s important to surround yourself with things you love, not things you feel obligated to keep a certain way.

8. Paige says:

I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with people painting furniture if they don’t like the way it looks. The only time I would have reservations about that would be if it were some true antique with value that would be ruined by painting. I highly doubt that anything painted here is of that kind of value! I love painting my own furniture, too, although I am not a fan of the distressed look. That is just my personal thing, I like bright colors, and absolutely love to put high gloss varnish over them. And as someone stated, painted furniture can always be taken back down to the original wood, if someone else gets the piece and prefers that.
    Christy, that color is also one of my favorites! Love the aqua!!

9. Kim L. says:

I agree with everyone. I used to think “How could someone cover up that beautiful wood with paint” Now I want to paint everything in sight : ) I really love when someone takes THE most hideous piece of furniture from the 60s or 70s (you know, the stuff no one will even take for free!) and makes it into something fun and beautiful.